We recently received a number of photos from Al Hanson, originally taken in the early 1950’s of what is now the Sievers Shop. After the Island schools consolidated in 1945 and the building was no longer used as a one-room schoolhouse, it was sold in 1948 to his parents Bill and Vi Hanson who owned and operated “Vi and Bill’s”, a tavern and restaurant (the fish-fry kitchen was half of the yarn shop). What is now the Teacher’s Cottage and a shed behind the main building were cabins rented to fisherman. Later Vi ran the business as a retail shop. Ann and Cindra remember moccasins, Native American souvenirs, models, knickknacks and packaged liquor.
Before this business venture, the Hanson’s owned Vi and Bill’s Fishing Lodge in West Harbor, known today as Cedar Lodge. There they advertised “Baths, Showers and Simmons Beds”.